Sunday, September 7, 2008

Breast Cancer 3 Day Update

Its so hard for me to even write this, but after careful thought and a few tears it is time for me to end my journey to this years 3 day walk in Washington DC. Recently I have been having severe pain in my right foot and I finally forced myself to go see my doctor. The conclusion is that walking 60 miles will only worsen my pain and push up surgery and with three little kids at home being off my feet for 6 weeks from the surgery really isn't something I can force my family to deal with if it isn't necessary. So we decided that it would be best for me to pull out of this years walk.
To all who donated to my fundraising efforts THANK YOU!!! I think the hardest part of having to pull out is my fear of letting you all down. Just remember that your donations have gone to a wonderful cause and bring us closer to a cure for breast cancer with every dollar donated!
If you would still like to donate please find another walker in your area or consider donating to my good friend Nicole Peck who I was planning to walk with. She will still be walking and is super close to her fundraising goal and would love the support! Just click on her name and it will take you to her fundraising page.
Again thank you for all your support it really does mean so much to me!

xoxo
Becca

1 comment:

Katney said...

You don't know me and I have not visited your blog before, but I am offering my moral support in saying that you are doing what must be done. I am walking in Seattle this coming weekend. Last year I walked, too, with my daughter, and pulled up short the first day having injured my knee. With ice and tape and rest I was able to complete the remainder of the walk, but that four miles I didn't finish rankled me. I even went back to try to find the route and walk it later, but couldn't quite figure it out. I eventually "released" that part I didn't walk. The way I see it is: it is better to have made the effort and have to pull out and "live to walk another day".

There are ways you may be able to be a part of the walk. Find a cheering station on one of the days--take your kids with you with home made posters and banners or have them pass out stickers to the walkers. They will remember that.

Or record news coverage so walkers you know can see it later. That is something I never saw last year and really would have appreciated.

Best of everything for recovery from your foot problem. I have had plantar fascitis in the past. It was probably mild in comparison to what you are experiencing, but it gives me a clue.

Now, to go find that Texas walker I was looking for when I wandered in here. She needs a boost, too.